NYU Torch Tech: Virtual IT Community
UX/UI Design, Web Design
UX/UI DESIGN, USER RESEARCH
NYU Virtual Torch Tech
The Virtual Torch Tech is a website that focuses on fostering collaboration, knowledge sharing, and network building among the NYU Information Technology community.
The project has three main features: 1) Torchfeed where users can upload and answer questions, 2) Efficient and easy search filter system to find and connect with people, and finally 3) Virtual workspace where users can create groups, add members, share documents and resources, chat with group members privately, and more.
To support and create a tight community among NYU Information Technology and provide information and events that are technology affiliated.
Landing page: To build a community, landing page is the most crucial part for first time users. Here are the primary problems of the current landing page:
Images in the top banners are not informative. Purpose of the website is hard to identify at first glance.
Tasks for users are vague and confusing. Users don't know what to do at the landing page.
Promotional video is not in the right hierarchy and position.
Information Architecture: Hierarchy of the menu is ambiguous. Some dropdown menu is not even visible on mobile.
Consistency: Color palette of the current website is inconsistent. Overall theme of the site does not match with NYU's color as well.
In order to accurately identify user needs, we conducted a focus group event in which we collected fifty users and surveyed them about the Torch Tech website. After reviewing all of their responses, we analyzed and summarized their most utmost needs and expectations:
1. Connect with people who have skills they need or who share same interests.
2. A forum that users can share knowledge and allow them to ask questions. Their answers could be be answered by specialists.
3. Learn new technology or skills from others or events.
4. More interactive events listing on the website.
5. A platform which can allow them to find and join communities with same interests.
6. Showcase top projects within the community.